One of the most frequently asked questions at Digicamhelp deals with memory card problems, especially the ubiquitous Secure Digital memory card. Formatting a memory card can often solve a host of problems, but not always.
For digital camera users, the preferred method to format a memory card is in their camera. Though not generally recommended, some format the cards via a computer. But neither method is foolproof.
The Secure Digital Association offers free software, SD Formatter, considered one of the best tools to format Secure Digital memory cards. SD Formatter formats SD cards that comply with the SD File System Specification created by SD Association.
SD Formatter is designed specifically for SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards. The utility differs from operating system format utilities that are meant to format a variety of storage media.
SD Formatter better than operating system formatting utilities
While formatting tools provided with operating systems can format a variety of storage media including Secure Digital memory cards, they may result in lower performance than using the SD Formatter.
For example, according to the Association, “SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards have a ‘Protected Area’ on the card for the SD standard’s security function. Some utilities may format the protected area, SD Formatter does not.
Using SD Formatter results in better memory cards performance and speed and it improves its overall lifetime.
- QUICK - a quick formatting that only initializes the file system parameters in the card, but not the user data area.
- FULL (Erase) – initializes the file system parameter in the card, and deletes all the user data areas. If there is something that doesn’t support to the erase processing according to the SD interface device, the erase processing is skipped and is the same as if you selected the QUICK option.
- FULL (OverWrite) – initializes the file system parameters in the card and all the user data areas.
SD Formatter works with Windows and Mac OS
SD Formatter works with a number of Windows and Mac operating systems. It can be used with the following devices:
- Secure Digital slot on computer – Important for SDXC card users: contact your computer manufacturer to confirm the SD slot on your computer is compatible with SDXC cards and for availability of the SDXC driver.
- USB Secure Digital memory card reader
- PC Card, CardBus or ExpressCard SD adapter
For system requirements and to download a free copy of SD formatter, visit the SD Association website. As of this writing, user manuals are available in English, Japaneses, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese.
SD Formatter or in-camera formatting?
According to a SDA Help Desk reply to an email inquiry by Digicamhelp:
“The SDA does recommend using the SD Formatter to format SD Cards rather than the formatting utilities provided in SD host devices such as digital cameras. The formatting utilities in SD host devices may not format SD Cards correctly, causing operability issues.”
Related reading: Before Using Your SDXC Memory Card